|black maxi dress|
Maxi dresses are flattering, look elegant on everyone (if you wear the right one) and can immediately transform your look from 0-100. As with all outfits, styling is key and once you can figure out how best to flatter and enhance your features, these beauties will have you turning heads wherever you go. Every 'fashionista' should have at least one or two prime pieces in her collection and like the LBD or classic white shirt, maxi dresses are a staple for the stylish girl's wardrobe.
1. The African Piece - As a full Nigerian girl, my local Nigerian outfits are never far from reach for me and I own a number of pieces that I wear proudly. Having the local 'ankara' fabric made into dresses is a no-brainer and this hot red cold-shoulder number is one of my most treasured because the color pops just enough to grab your attention and complements my skin tone oh so nicely. I never fail to receive compliments anytime I wear this gem and will continue to rock it for as long as I am able.
2. The Chiffon Monochrome - Easy, breezy, light, airy and ethereal are just a few adjectives that describe this dress. Obviously see through, I always have to wear a sleeveless midi dress underneath. This is the perfect outfit to a baby/bridal shower and with the perfect complementary make-up for day or night, this dress is always a winner in my books.
3. The Solid - Who doesn't love a good, solid black maxi dress? Looks great on every skin tone, every body type and can be dressed up or down. I usually wear this when I want to get a little bohemian vibe going and pair it with a kimono, some chunky jewellery and a headscarf. It's the perfect outfit to wear to the movies, brunch with friends or just to take some cute pics.
4. The Eye Grabber - When I intentionally set out to turn heads, I grab this striped maxi dress that I've owned for years and somehow still manage to fit into without fainting. It accentuates all of my curves with the only down side being not able to pig out on food but who needs food when you look like the snack yourself (LOL...I'm playing myself I know). It's as long as I like all my maxi dresses to be and only ever wear it with sandals because I love the look it gives ( even though you can't see them in these pictures). I was going to add a denim jacket to the look but I'm not even sure why I did not. LOL.
5. The Statement - What's not to love about this baby? It's leopard print, it's faux wrap with a cut so low that as Patricia Bright says, it's literally "nipples to the wind" without a tank top underneath. For the longest time, I've been obsessed with leopard print everything - dresses, skirts, shoes to purses so when one of my bffs gave me this dress as a gift, I was more than just excited. It's like my Christmas Dress as we commonly say in Nigeria, which just means I wear it only on special occasions or when I have somewhere nice to go. I've had this dress for 3 years now and have legit only worn it 3 times so it's literally still brand new. This dress would be ideal for the Spring or the Fall so I guess it will be making it's 4th appearance pretty soon.
What is your must have wardrobe essential? Are you a maxi dress lover like me or nah? Feel free to leave your comments below.
Thanks for stopping by guys on your way to the weekend. Have fun and see you on Tuesday.