WHAT TO EXPECT IN YOUR 40S
If you're lucky, people will react in disbelief when you tell them you just turned 40 and exclaim that you look nothing like your age. That's the goal for many of us nearing this age and with hopefully the age gods on our side, the alternative will not be our reality.
Okay, so what exactly do we expect to happen in our 40s? Is all we have to look forward to the menopause, lactose intolerance, foreign back aches, failing eyesight and dwindling libido? I sure hope not, I don't know about you but I still require everything in my body to remain fully functional for as long as I can ensure that they do. We know our bodies will change and all that jazz but what do we really learn in this decade? What epiphanies do we suddenly have that signal to us that our days of long nights and hard partying are well behind us? I'm obviously not 40 yet, I've still got a little over a year to go but I'm already noticing certain things change, physically and otherwise.
So here's what you can expect in your 40s to happen that's if they haven't already begun happening:
1. You stop giving a rat's ass what people think about you. This is the moment where the expression 'DO YOU' comes to life and time's up on giving a shit about the next person's opinion of you.
2. You want to start taking better care of yourself. I should probably take my own damn advice and lay off the vanilla cheesecake and overly sweetened coffee I seem to be indulging in more and more these days. The least we can do at this age is to give ourselves a shot at living long instead of speeding up the process of our lifespan's destined trajectory.
3. Advil, Aleve, Tylenol and Ibuprofen move in from the stores to take permanent residence in your home on your counter tables, in your kitchen cabinets, bathroom shelves and your handbag. Body parts start to work independently of you, randomly hurting or aching without warning or from doing any strenuous activity. Your best bet is not to try to fight it, just pop in the pill that's most effective for the pain you've got and keep it moving. Or in our case, sleep it off!
4. Suddenly, that DMX sounding music no longer holds appeal and try as you may, you just don't have the attention span to listen or even care to understand what's being said in that amigos (or is it migos) music. Any song that uses grunts and inaudible expressions rather than clear, understandable words become too much for us to comprehend.
5. You start thinking more about death than life. Sadly, I've already lost a couple of friends on this road to 40 and it just leaves me wondering more about when it might be my time to bid this crazy world farewell. Hopefully, that time is still in the far future for me and for my friends.
6. If you somehow missed the memo on early marriage and having children like I did in your 20s or 30s, 40 is probably when you start feeling braver about wanting to back pack across Australia and live in a tent for 6 months out of the year. Is this a good idea? Why you asking me sis, I have no such urge YET!
Listen there's very likely a ton more things you experience in your 40s so this is by no means a comprehensive list. There's also the likelihood that you haven't gotten to the stage where any of the above mentioned is a reality and what you expect in your 40s to happen may differ from what actually does. Either way, I've got my Advil close by, listening to some good ol' SWV while trying to decide if I want to take that walk round the neighborhood or just go back to bed.
What's going in your 40s? Are you even there yet? Hola in the comments!!
Always Love 💘