YOUR SURVIVAL GUIDE ON HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL 1ST DATE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON/ TOPE AKWADA/ 5 DECEMBER
The holidays are typically when friends and family get together to party, let loose and wind down from all the stresses of the year. It could also be when that cute guy online finally swiped right on your profile and has asked you out on the first date.
The holiday season can be a good time to see if you can make a love connection or at the very least, find yourself a new friend.
Related: My 10 Dos & Donts For Dating Successfully Today
You don't want to be the third wheel on a night out with your friend and his/her significant other (but if you don't mind then that's fine too) but you also don't want to chicken out on that first date because you are scared things may not go as expected or that you could be disappointed if the date doesn't go well. I'm here to help with tips from my survival guide on how to have a successful first date this holiday season.
- Be safe - First and foremost your safety is of paramount importance so make sure to take every precaution to ensure that. Let someone know where you are going and who you will be meeting, have someone call you at a certain time to make sure you are okay and daytime dates are recommended for a first time date with someone new. Just because its the holiday season doesn't mean everyone's intentions are pure so please be safe out there.
- Bring A Gift - First dates can be awkward on a normal day without adding the stresses of being the holidays so it's understandable that your first meeting can be a bit unnerving. If you are feeling unsure about whether to bring a gift for someone you are meeting for the first time especially if you don't know what they like or if you will get a gift in return, just bring something generic like a book or a bottle of wine. Best case scenario is that it will spark conversation and make any awkward feelings less stressful
- Lower Expectations - There are many who will argue that December is the worst time for a first date but it really does not have to be so. You know that this is a busy time of year for everyone so don't take things personally if your date doesn't invite you to the office Christmas party or an upcoming New Year's eve celebration with friends or colleagues. Just enjoy the date and go into it with no expectations. If it was a good outing and things happen organically, then its more likely that there will be a 2nd date.
- Be Your Authentic Self - When I met my now boyfriend for the first time, one thing I really liked was how true to himself he was. There were no airs or pretences about him and that in turn allowed me get comfortable being myself too. He impressed me just by being himself and we've been inseparable ever since.
- Make Your Mind Up To Have A Good Time - It is the holiday season after all and a date should be fun no matter what it is you decide to do. Whether it's something as simple as a coffee date or a lunch date, have fun with it. Besides being the most wonderful time of the year, it is also the busiest and most hectic so use your first date as an excuse to enjoy yourself and let your hair down. Be engaging, laugh, be silly if that's your nature and you will stand out from everyone else.
- Make The Effort To Be Punctual - Guy or girl, I personally think its rude to keep a date waiting longer than 5 minutes. The holidays are a busy enough time with all the hustle and bustle and people are hurrying to get things done. So if in the midst of all that, someone can and has created time to see you, the least you can do is put forth the same effort by being punctual to the date. That whole 'being fashionably late' thing does not apply here.
There is more you can surely do but let's leave things here for the moment because you already have a lot going on and don't need to add this to your already out of control list of things to do. Let's face it, you can do everything on this list and then some and still have a bad first date. It can never be right with the wrong person so don't sweat it if there is no 2nd date on the horizon.
First dates don't need to be this traumatizing event filled with bad jokes, boring conversation, unrealistic expectations and praying for the whole thing to be over. Go into the date with an open mind and enjoy the meal or cocktail (if not the company) so at least the day wouldn't seem like a complete loss or total fail.
Enjoy your first date and enjoy the holidays with your loved ones even more!!
Always Love 💕