HOW TO BE THE NEW & IMPROVED 40 YEAR OLD
If you haven't guessed it by now, I'm gearing up for life in my 40s and as I've said many times over, I'm looking forward to my new decade. I think it goes without saying that today's 40 year olds are very different from the ones of say 10 to 15 years ago and if that's true, what then does it mean to be the new and improved 40 year old? How do you even go about becoming one?
I've been doing a bit of research as you can imagine in preparation for this new age and here are some things I found so far. In your 40s, you should among other things...
1. Take saving more seriously
2. Have a dedicated self care routine
3. Update your skill set
4. Live life more purposefully and gratefully and;
5. Invest in preventive health care
These are but a few things that seem to be universal among the resources I checked out online. Yet in my own life, I've started to make certain little lifestyle changes/adjustments that I can already tell are doing me some major good.
1. I have a major sweet tooth and I know I need to seriously start curbing that so in place of the fizzy, sugar filled stuff I very much prefer, I've made a conscious effort to start drinking lemon water in their place and snacking on fruits rather than white chocolate and candy.
2. I've been stepping up on my skincare game and now do the Korean 10 step skincare regimen once a week. I exfoliate at least 3 times a week and have invested in essences and serums because your skin can never get too much nourishing goodness especially since it's aging right along with you.
3. I'm not a fan of working out but I realize that being sedentary isn't doing me any good. I just started taking daily 20 minute walks in my neighborhood to keep my muscles active plus it gives me some much needed alone time with my thoughts. I like to listen to music while I walk and I'm also getting into podcasts. Mind and body working together and staying active is great for me.
So if you are interested in knowing how to be the new and improved 40 year old, here are a few recommendations ( I know I've been making a lot of those lately, lol. Bear with me):
- Come to terms quickly with the fact that you are getting older and that there's nothing you can do about it. The quicker you do that, the quicker you can begin making lifestyle changes where necessary. You may say you'll just get plastic surgery but that just changes your body, it doesn't change your age.
- This is not the time to start 'letting yourself go' even if others think it is. Dress nice and make yourself a priority because if you don't, nobody else will.
- Always look your best. Just because you are aging doesn't mean you should dress like you're dead neither does it mean you should walk around looking like your favorite character from love and hip-hop. Healthy middle balance folks!
- Be as up to date as you can with the times. After all, not being young anymore doesn't make you a dinosaur ladies and gents. Turning 40 is no excuse not to understand that your teenage son doesn't mean he needs a drink of water when he says he may be acting a little 'thirsty' or that your daughter needs you to go fight someone because she simply exclaims that she 'got her face beat'. Keep up people!!
I could go on and on but I think you get the message and if you don't, all I'm simply saying is 'don't die before you're dead' and this is how to be the new and improved 40 year old. It's really the only way we can survive out here in these streets with all these millennials running around making us dizzy with their loud music, weird fashion and strange language.
Do you agree? Comment below...
See you next week with another one.
Always Love 💘